Sujet : Re: TRAM TR50 innovator Ted Rapp - man of mystery?
De : sesamfx@earthlink.net
Groupes : rec.arts.movies.production.sound
Date : 07. Dec 2016, 07:18:23
On Friday, May 22, 2009 at 1:43:49 PM UTC-4, gl...@trewaudio.com wrote:
> I know nothing. Nothing at all.
>
> But I will say that I did enjoy doing business with Ted, and grew to
> appreciate his unusual traits.
>
> Regarding his opinions of FAX machines, at the time, TRAM was the only
> manufacturer who would not receive purchase orders by FAX and insisted
> that they be sent by US mail. The orders were always processed
> efficiently and correctly. Also during that time, he soldered on every
> connector himself, to order.
>
> Even though other lav microphones now have a respectable share of the
> market, it is a great tribute to Ted Rapp that the TRAM mic is still
> preferred by many, and the mounting accessories and box are still
> considered by most to be the best in the industry.
>
> It might be interesting to note that he seemed to detest the term
> "Vampire Clip" for his most famous mounting accessory. He always
> listed it as "Clip-on Holder" and refused to call it anything else.
>
> The way he would sign off on the phone now comes to mind...
>
> "and out"
>
> Glen Trew

I helped Ted develop the now infamous tram. Used extensively on broadway after
it was developed. Yes "Ted Rapp and Mom" is correct. He was also an Air Force
Reserve Pilot. Yes he was cautious because we sold to many agencies and
companies that preferred to remain "offline " in todays parlance. A great
friend, mechanical genius. Developed and manufactured the units in his home. I
helped him sort through thousands of elements for sensitiity and frequency
response.  That was the secret sauce.